Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ripple Stitch Dish Cloth

My sister Susan found an old Needlework book that was published by Reader's Digest, in it are a couple of pages of different crochet stitches with directions on how to do the stitch.  I have been making dish cloth size samplers and decided to share this one as it is my favorite so far.  The ripple stitch is a small asymmetrical shell stitch and would also make a nice baby blanket or place mat.  For this I used Sugar and Cream cotton in Red and then did another in orange, pink and varigated, I loved them all!!

Here is what you need to get started:
Lily Sugar 'n Cream cotton in your favorite color
Size I crochet hook
needle to hide your ends

This is a slight variation of their pattern as I found a couple of errors in theirs.

To start this pattern you need a multiple of 3 for your foundation chain.  I used 33.
Chain 33.
Row 1:  Skip the first 2 ch, 2 DC in the next ch, skip the next two ch, *(1 SC, 2DC ) in the next ch, sk 2 ch, repeat this across ending with a SC in the last stitch, then ch 2 and turn.  (10 shells across).

Rows 2-24 areworked in only the SC stitches from the previous row.  
Row 2:  2 DC in the  first SC, sk the next 2 DC stitches and do *(1SC, 2DC) in SC from the previous row, sk the next 2 DC and repeat across.  End the row with 1 SC in the turning ch and ch 2.

I repeated row 2 until my cloth was square or about 24 rows.  Tie off after your last SC and weave in the end.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this. I am recently retired and trying to get back into some of my crafty stuff. This is the first wash cloth I have done that I am happy with. It only took a couple of hours and is substantial with no unattractive edges. And the funniest thing, you were talking about the book you found this in and it is setting right here on the coffee table. I guess I will be taking a look to see what other stitches will be suitable for this project. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I've started making one of there tonight and am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete